How to get to Kawthaung and Myanmar (Visa Information)
Nyaung Oo Phee can be reached from either Myanmar or Thailand. From Myanmar, the quickest way to reach Kawthaung is by plane. A number of airlines offer domestic flights from Yangon, which can take 2 hours 40 mins (with one stop in Dawei and Myeik).
Traveling direct Yangon Kawthaung
- Myanmar National Airlines (MNA): Yangon << >> Kawthaung on a daily basis.
- AIR Kanbawza (AIR KBZ): Yangon << >> Kawthaung on 3 times a week.
Cost is USD 290-330 for the return ticket.
From Ranong pier, small or long-tail boats to Kawthaung are available either sharing or charter / private basic.
Vehicles, 805 km, 30 hours per way Hotel Alphard/Hi-Ace pickup from Yangon to Kawthaung is USD 800++ (per way, capacity of 5 persons) (+10% service charge and 5% tax).
Coach, 30 hours per way (includes 6 rest stops)
Kawthaung << >> Myeik << >> Dawei << >> Mawlamyine << >> Yangon
There are many coach companies in Myanmar, traveling between Kawthaung and Yangon almost hourly. E.g. Anty Win, Mandalar Min, Moe Kaung Kin, Shwe Myeik Aung Coach tickets can be purchased approximately at USD 31 per person per way from their ticketing offices, or through travel agents.
From Thailand: Don Mueang (Bangkok) << >> Ranong << >> Don Mueang (Bangkok)
International Flights, 1 hour 20 mins, 3 flights per day on a daily basis.
- Nok Air 7312,
- Thai AirAsia3140,
- Nok Air 7318.
From the Thailand side, Kawthaung is reached via Ranong. The border crossing involves a long-tail boat ride from Ranong Saphan Pla Pier to Kawthaung, and boats are available either sharing or private charter that takes approximately 20 minutes and costs around 250-300 Thai Baht.
Vehicle, 858 km 7 hours 45 mins. Standard sedan type car, to an SUV for 4 passengers, a premium van, 7-person minivan and 8 and 9-person VIP vans.
Coach, 858 km 10 hours. Bangkok << >> Ranong (There are three different comfort levels available: Express, VIP and VIP 24)
Ranong << >> Phuket
4 hours 40 mins duration, 1+ stops. (4 hours 40 mins duration, Nok Air via Bangkok) (5 hours duration, Thai AirAsia via Bangkok)
Free Visa information (as of October 2018)
To reach Nyaung Oo Phee Island, International visitors require e-Visas, which are arranged by you online https://evisa.moip.gov.mm or through licensed tour operators. Tours must be booked at least two weeks in advance of travel to obtain the travel permit in time for your trip.
As a 1 Year Pilot Program, from 1st October 2018 to 30th September 2019, nationalities that can enter Myanmar do not require a visa for a tourist visit of up to 30 days, you can enter and depart from all international checkpoints.
- Point of Entry: Yangon, Mandalay, Nay Pyi Taw, Kawthaung
- Eligible Countries: Japan, Hong Kong, Macao, Singapore, South Korea.
[Updated: the Pilot Program for visa exemption has been extended until 30th September, 2020.]
Visa on arrival information for China & Indian
Nationalities that can enter Myanmar visa on arrival free for 30 days: Ordinary passport holders China and India may obtain a tourist visa on arrival for USD 50.
- Port of Entry: Yangon, Mandalay, Nay Pyi Taw International Airports.
Visa on arrival information for some ASEAN countries
Nationalities that can enter Myanmar visa on arrival free for 14 days: Ordinary passport holders from the following countries do not require a visa for tourist of up to 14 days if entering and departing from Yangon, Mandalay or Nay Pyi Taw International Airports.
- Eligible Countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam.
If you would like to stay in Myanmar over 14 days, wish to enter or exit from any of the International Land of Border checkpoints, and then please apply for the appropriate e-Visa.
Nationalities eligible for e-Visa (can apply online, credit card payment, 3 working days, approx. USD 50), Tourist Visa only (28 days single entry).
For more information https://evisa.moip.gov.mm (Port of Entry: Yangon, Mandalay, Nay Pyi Taw International Airports, overland travel to Myanmar via the Thai-Myanmar border points of Mae Sai, Tachileik, Mae Sot, Myawaddy and Ranong, Kawthaung as well as India-Myanmar border points of Moreh, Tamu and Zokhawtar, Rikhawdar (e-Visa is not valid at Thailand Phunaron, Htee Kee entry point).
Passport holders from the following countries are eligible to apply for a visa on arrival.
Eligible Countries are:
- Albania, Algeria, Argentina, Australia, Austria
- Bangladesh, Belarus, Belgium, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria
- Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, CZECH
- Ecuador, Egypt, Eritrea, Estonia
- Fiji, Finland, France
- Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Guinea
- Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy
- Jamaica, Japan, Jordan
- Kazakhstan, Kenya, Korea (DPR), Korea (Republic), Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
- Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg
- Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Mongolia, Morocco
- Nepal, Netherlands, New Zeland, Norway
- Pakistan, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal
- Romania, Russia
- Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sri lanka, Sweden, Switzerland
- Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey
- Uganda, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States of America, Uruguay, Uzbekistan
- Venezuela, Vietnam.
Business Visa-on-arrival (70 days single entry)
- Port of Entry: Yangon, Mandalay, Nay Pyi Taw International Airports
- Eligible Countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Australia, China, Denmark, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States of America, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Cyprus, Czech, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia.
Business Visa On Arrival can also be arranged via third party visa services firstname.lastname@example.org who helps you complete the business visa application form. Documents required: 2 passport photos, passport copy, the invitation letter from local Myanmar registered company on official company letterhead, and a local guarantor company certificate. Payment can be made via credit card through PayPal.